You are here:  Home » Parents » National Disability Insurance Scheme » The NDIS and Education

The NDIS and Education

The NDIS does not change the role of schools or their obligations to students with hearing loss or other disabilities. Schools continue to be responsible for meeting the personalised learning and support needs of students with disability under the Disability Standards for Education 2005. 

Watch this webinar presented by Megan Barr from the University of Newcastle to learn more about how schools and the NDIS can work together to support the needs of your child with hearing loss.


Megan responds to some additional questions

Q: Who would be the best placed to help with social interaction in school -  a support worker or a therapist. If a therapist from what area please?
A: Not a support worker. A support worker does not need any formal training in disability. A speech pathologist or teacher of the deaf are best qualified to teach social skills.

Q:  I have not heard about the transdisciplinary approach. It is up to me to share information between therapists. How do you find a therapist who would take on a key worker role?
A transdisciplinary approach recognises a team is involved in supporting the child but allocates one professional as the key worker. The key worker (who may be the teacher of the deaf, speech pathologist, psychologist) takes on the role of sharing information with the team. The NDIS are supportive of a transdisciplinary model, so your planner should approve funding for a key worker to share information. Most professionals would happily take on this role if they are paid for their time, because it is best practice. If you do not have an NDIS worker who is happy to take up that role, I would consider changing therapists.

Q: Does a key support worker need to be a speech therapist or can it be just a support worker?
A: As mentioned, a support worker does not need training in disability. It should be a teacher or therapist who is involved in goal setting and delivering supports for the child.

Q: I want someone to tell me how to use my budget with the limited access I have in rural NSW to appropriate service providers and the rules around how I can spend the money.
A: Access to providers in rural areas is a significant issue. Most NDIS providers for children with hearing loss offer telepractice services. Many also offer an intensive week of support in a capital city in the school holidays. Parents report these intensive weeks are very beneficial. Some families band together in rural areas and target a therapist of their choice. If there are a number of children to see it is more worth while in rural areas. I know of six children (some siblings) in a rural area that all use a therapist of choice with highly specialist skills in hearing loss from a capital city. This therapist provides teleintervention, but also visits once a month. Each of the six children pay travel costs, and it makes the trip financially viable for the therapist.

More information:

Most State Departments of Education have some information about the NDIS and education on their websites.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is not intended as a substitute for independent professional advice.

05-May-2021 10:12 AM (AEST)