You are here:  Home » Resources » After diagnosis » Negotiating the health system
Explore This Section...

Negotiating the health system

Medical recordWhen your child is diagnosed with a hearing loss, there are a number of professionals and specialists who will make up part of the team looking after your child. 

Medical services

It is a good idea to find a good General Practitioner (GP). Your GP can play an important role in co-ordinating the overall care of your child, particularly when you are seeing a number of specialists. 

In Australia, we are have a choice as to whether we choose the public or private health system - both have their benefits and drawbacks.

Hearing services

Hearing services for children are provided by Hearing Australia - a Commonwealth Government Authority that provides a full range of services to children and young people up to 26 years of age, aged pensioners and most war veterans.

Their national Children's Services Program supports children who have a hearing loss and their families. The aim is to optimise each child's speech, education and communication development.

More information

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is not intended as a substitute for independent professional advice.

31-Mar-2020 11:07 AM (AEST)