You are here:  Home » Resources » Early Intervention » Finding an early intervention service
Explore This Section...

Finding an early intervention service

Early intervention services are offered by state governments, non-government organisations and private providers.

ACT | NSW | NT | QLD | SA | TAS | VIC | WA

Depending on where you live and your child's hearing loss, your child may be eligible for Australian Government funding through one of two programs:

  1. Better Start for Children with Disability
    From 1 July 2011, children with a four frequency hearing loss of 40dB or greater in the better ear are eligible to access Better Start funding. Parents of eligible children will be able to access up to $12,000 (with a maximum of $6,000 per financial year) to pay for certain early intervention services. Families do not require Better Start funding for services offered by State or Territory Governments.
  2. National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
    The first stage of the NDIS began at a number of trial sites in July 2013. Roll-out of the full scheme will commence progressively from July 2016. Children who currently receive Better Start funding will transition across to the NDIS when it becomes available in their area.
Choosing an early intervention provider

It is recommended you choose an early intervention provider who has expertise and experience with babies and young children with hearing loss. The providers listed specialise in children with hearing loss. A full list of providers for Better Start and the NDIS can be found on their websites. We have compiled a list of questions to ask the early intervention service providers you are considering.

If your child is not eligible for Better Start or NDIS funding, you are still able to access early intervention services at minimal or no cost to the family. Contact the services in your area and discuss what services they are able to provide your child.

More information

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is not intended as a substitute for independent professional advice.

30-Nov-2016 5:53 PM (AEST)