Research demonstrates that both positive and adverse experiences shape brain development and health across the life span. Studies on child development show that Positive Childhood Experiences (PCE) lay a foundation for optimal childhood development and social connectness despite co-occuring adversities.
The 2019 studies at Johns Hopkins University identified 7 Positive Childhood Experiences.
- Ability to talk with family about feelings
- Felt experience that family is supportive in difficult times
- Enjoyment in participation in community traditions
- Feeling of belonging in high school
- Feeling of being supported by friends
- Having at least two non-parent adults who genuinely care
- Feeling safe and protected by an adult at home.
For more information:
- Positive Childhood Experiences and Adult Mental and Relational Health in a Statewide Sample Associations Across Adverse Childhood Experiences Levels